26th February 2016
Alistair Gow, Head Chef at Edinburgh Zoo, has kindly shared with us two stunning recipes for dishes that are offered for weddings at the venue. If you are looking for a sample wedding menu, then why not put your cooking skills to the test and try these recipes for yourself! First of all, we have the New season rump of lamb with persillade crust, a fantastic choice for a crowd-pleasing main. And for dessert, Vanilla iced parfait with glazed cherries and pistachio ice cream – absolutely delicious!
New season Rump of lamb, Persillade crust
- 6oz rump of Ayrshire new season lamb.
- 250g Curly parsley
- 100g natural breadcrumbs
- 25g Arran mustard
- Sprig of thyme
- Sprig of rosemary
- Clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Rapeseed oil
- Marinade your rump for 4 hours at least in. rapeseed oil, Garlic, thyme, rosemary.
- Blitz your parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic and a touch of rapeseed oil in a blender until the parsley is really fine and the crust should turn bright green.
- Season your lamb with salt and pepper. Seal off in a pan until golden brown and fat is rendered on the top of the lamb.
- Once sealed spread a thick layer of Arran mustard on the top of the lam and dip into the persillade.
- Cook in an oven until the lamb is cooked to 48 oc (medium rare). Leave to rest for 4 mins, serve with your choice of veg and potato.
Vanilla iced parfait, glazed cherries, pistachio ice cream
For the parfait… Ingredients
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ vanilla pod
- 500mls of cream
- Cherries pipped and halved
- 10g of caster sugar
- 35ml kirsh
- Whisk 70g sugar, the egg yolks and the scraped vanilla pod to a sabayon.
- Boil the remaining 30g sugar to 118ºC, soft ball consistency. Beat into the sabayon.
- Whip the cream until it’s part-risen and starts to cling to the whisk.
- Fold in the sabayon. Put into a mould and set in the freezer.
- Heat up pan on a low heat add in cherries sugar and kirsh simmer until cherries are soft.
.. And for the pistachio ice cream… Ingredients
- 100g of pistachios shelled
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150mls cream
- ½ vanilla pod
- Blend all the ingredients except the cream and vanilla extract (if using) in a blender of food processor until the nuts are in small bits.
- Transfer to a pan and cook the custard over a low heat until it is cooked. Allow to cool
- Add the cream and vanilla extract (if using) and mix together gently but thoroughly.
- Churn in the ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions of transfer to a freezer proof container and freeze, giving it a good whisking every couple of hours until it sets.